Friday, March 9, 2012

The Doritos Locos Tacos - Is It Worth the Adventure?

If you hadn't heard, Taco Bell has a new creation out. It's called the Doritos Locos Tacos. The simplest and only way to describe it is it's a taco with a hard taco shell that's really just a big Doritos chip. You read right: a Doritos taco shell.


If you think about it, it's really a novel idea. Kudos to the man or woman who came up with the creation. What's next a Doritos Cooler Ranch taco? Taco Bell could really earn my business if they came out with an Art and Mary's Jalapenos Taco.

The latest creation spawned by the R&D department of Taco Bell was intriguing enough to get me to go inside and purchase two of them. I went for lunch the other day to give it a try. I’m not the biggest fan of Taco Bell so for something to get me to go in there is quite the feat in itself.

Place was busy when I walked inside, at least 10-12 customers already eating. And I am not lying when I say; every single table with a customer had at least one Doritos Locos Tacos on it. Everybody was just as intrigued as I was. The specialty taco runs $1.29 so I went ahead and purchased two. I grabbed some hot sauce and sat down and waited.

....and waited.....

....and waited.
Some dude yells #226!!!!! That's me!

Opened my first one up, poured some hot sauce into it, and took a bite.........taste like a taco. Shocking, I know. I broke off part of the taco shell and it was definitely a Dorito, complete with the feeling of it with the dusty cheese seasoning feel all Doritos have. As I took another bite, you could somewhat tell the taco shell had a different taste to it. The shell for sure tasted better and didn't have the cheap stale quality of a hard taco shell you find at some outlets. On the second taco, I poured less sauce on it to see if I could really tell the difference. Minor change. Overall, I didn't get the "wow" factor I originally had when I heard about the taco.

The taco didn't taste any better than what one could get at a Taco Pronto or Taco Shop, two of the better fast food taco establishments in Wichita in my opinion.

Is it worth a try? Sure. Go buy one and see for yourself. I wasn't blown away but the intrigue was enough to get me to go in. I don't think I'll be going anytime soon to get another one. I think one time was enough for me. And lastly the nutritional information for the taco for you health nuts.


Doritos Locos Tacos
serving size (g) - 78
calories - 170
calories from fat - 80
saturated fat (g) - 3.5
total fat (g) - 9
trans fat (g) - 0
cholesterol (mg) - 25
sodium (mg) - 340
carbohydrates (g) - 13
dietary fiber (g) - 2
sugars (g) - 1
protein (g) - 8

===========================================

Its official Letter U has been completed and I'm currently gathering opinions and writing the blog. That should be out soon.

Otherwise, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook!  New followers being added on each day

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!

Chad L. said...

I tried a couple last night. They were just okay. I'd eat them again, but nothing to gawk at.